Hi, I'm Beth Hanson. Welcome to Housewife Harmony.
Housewife Harmony is set up to encourage christain wives and young ladies,(wives to be) to love their husbands and be the keeper of the home that God wants us to be.
I hope you find these ideas and personal challenges helpful and encouraging.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

A wife's calling

My last posting, I'm ashamed to say, was written more then two months ago. My faithfulness in blogging has weakened because of my own struggle with guilt or more accurately described as a feeling of hypocrisy. Here I have a blog with the intent to encourage wives and even single woman to be keepers of the home. To take pride in taking care of family and household needs. Now it looks as though I will be entering into the work force.  I will explain.  My brilliant husband, Erik,  was  asked to consider becoming dean of KSBT (Keystone School of Biblical Theology) several months ago. When he came to consider this position on a serious level, he mentioned to me that if he did accepted it he would want me and no one but me to be his secretary. I said no of course. " I am a house wife and have no desire to work....outside of the home anyways". To be frank I really thought he was either trying to tease me, knowing full well I'm grossly under qualified, or merely trying to be polite by asking me. But when he insisted that he was serious and wanted me to go to the office with him and be his assistant, my first reaction was something of a Moses plight. " Erik, are you crazy? You know cant do that! I cant type, I hate computers, I love being a housewife, its what I was called to do........no! " But saying no to Erik is loosing battle. As much as I tried to, Erik wouldn't take no for an answer. Instead, he used his big brown eyes and encouraging words to convince me that I could this. I walked away from our discussion so encouraged in the Lord, excited to work with him at KSBT and totally convinced that a wife's calling isn't to be just a housewife for him but rather to be their husbands helpmate and truly help them in any capacity that he desires her help.  If he wants her to be by his side, helping him with his work, or busy preparing sumptuous meals at home then that is exactly what she is "called" to do. I fully intend to continue to "keep house" for our small family of two. But I also intend to work in Erik's new office by being the helpmate to him that he desires me to be. With Gods grace I will be more of a help then a hindrance in the office. My office skills are sorely lacking but....with God ALL things are possible! I'm happy to say that though many changes will be taking place I will be continuing this blog. This is a passion of mine and I apologize for my inconsistency. Using this blog as a means to encourage christian woman to love God, their husband, family and home is something I know God would have me to continue with. God bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. You may not feel like the best qualified to be Erik's secretary for this demanding new position in his life but this is why I believe YOU ARE the best possible candidate.

    Answer this question. Whom do you think wants Erik to succeed in his new endeavor more than anyone else?
    What Business School Secretarial Graduate would truly work harder for success of the newly appointed Dean than you? You are one secretary that will not leave for a "better" job opportunity at perhaps a crucial time.
    The Dean needs a secretary that he completely trusts to be doing the absolute best she can do to assist him.

    God has placed you exactly where you are. Just as God had a plan for Esther and made her Queen for a purpose, God also has a plan for you.

    At the end of each day of your new journey, as secretary - reflect on how the Lord has equipped you for the task at hand that day.

    You are like a Rose Bud now - but God will be with you He will continuely blossom you into a Full Fragrant Rose for For His Glory and accoridng to His Will.

    Remember Philippians 4:13.
    "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

    That includes being the Best Secretary Erik could possible have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the main point is being a helpmeet to your husband and this is apparantly the best way that you can do that for him. God Bless you in your endeavors! He will strengthen you.

    ReplyDelete